Followers

Sunday, July 16, 2023

I am inspired by Mr Dondo Mogajane

 OPINION BY Michael Mayalo – My lifetime role model and hero: Mr Dondo Mogajane 



As a young social entrepreneur and an activist I have always been filled with the notion of making life better for those around me if it is within my power or limited means. At high school my desire to make a difference became more formalised and I had the great opportunity to lead the biggest student movement in Africa , Congress of South African Students in different ranks up to national level - a student leadership development organisation with a strong socio poltical slant.


It was exactly in my high school years when I used to do a lot of reading; I saw prominent articles about the mighty Dondo Mogajane whom was serving as the director general in that era.

Mr. Mogajane has two honours degrees in Public Management and Human Resources and Industrial Relations obtained at the University of Durban Westville. He also completed a Master’s degree in Public Management at the University of Maryland (USA), a Management Advancement Programme at Wits Business School and a Programme in Budgeting and Public Financial Management at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.

Inspiration is the inculcation of a spirit that motivates a person to do something in his/her life. It is most important for everyone in our lives. This inspiration changes the way we think about our life, It helps in moving forward in our life by removing all the life hurdles in a positive way. When we observe some good qualities in others we want to do the same in our life, It changes our perspective of living. 

This can only happen when we get inspired by people or thing that makes us think positive as well as motivate us for doing something, We need it most when we are depressed or sad by some failure or great loss in life and It is the inspiration only that makes us strong again to fight the battle of our life. Inspiration is that idea that can change the lives of many people.

As a powerful business leader it is amazing to me to see Mr Dondo Mogajane’s humanity, how he would be the first to say sorry . Those who interact with him daily tells me how he often wanders around amongst his staff to see for himself the work conditions etc his staff encounters.

In my talks also with those who interacts daily with Mr Dondo Mogajane , one of the things which really stands out for me is when many people tell me although having been subjected to the most shocking insults in the media for standing up to the abuse by mainstream media , Mr Dondo refuses to descend to the level of his enemies and continue to manage his subordinates always in a manner that protects and enhances their dignity. 

I did a mini research about Mr Dondo from amongst those who know him well as I wanted to know where does his abilty to be so bold and fearless in the face of oppression of our people comes from , I find he gets his strength from his faith, a faith based upon justice for all and Mr Mogajane knows that there can be no peace without justice, there can be no real freedom without justice. 

I have been inspired by a number of people and instances in my life; Inspiration to me is like a catalyst that awakens my power and ability to work. The biggest inspiration in my life is none other than people who play a positive impact in our country and the person I admire the most is Mr Mogajane - He is the one who has inspired me from my childhood, His qualities like hard-working nature, discipline, sacrifice, and sympathy inspire me a lot. 

When I grow up , I want to be like Mr Dondo Mogajane.


Michael Mayalo writes in his own personal capacity, he is the Executive Chairperson to Youth Business Chamber




Independent Writer/Youth Activist

No comments:

Post a Comment